First Tee Upstate — South Carolina is excited about their increased effort in helping participants become caddies and enjoy dedicating more time to golf. For teenagers, caddying is one of the best opportunities to apply yourself, learn, and even earn an income. And for a select few, it can actually lead to a full college scholarship through the Evans Scholarship. But it takes hard work, dedication, and perseverance.
What is the Evans Scholarship?
The Chick Evans Scholarship for caddies was started by legendary amateur golfer Charles “Chick” Evans Jr. He learned the game as a caddie, won the 1910 Western Open and gained worldwide fame in 1916, when he became the first to win the U.S. Amateur and U.S. Open in the same year. Evans insisted on preserving his amateur status, and any money he received from golf was put toward caddie scholarships. The first two Evans Scholars enrolled at Northwestern University in 1930. Since then, more than 10,800 men and women have graduated from college as Evans Scholars, and 985 are currently in school. The Western Golf Association, founded in 1899, has supported the Evans Scholarship since its inception. The Chick Evans Scholarship for caddies is a grant that covers full tuition and housing in an Evans Scholarship House and may be renewed for up to four years.
Who is eligible for an Evans scholarship?
To be eligible to apply for a Chick Evans Scholarship for caddies, candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Strong caddie record: applicants must have caddied, regularly and successfully, for a minimum of two years and are expected to caddie at their sponsoring club the year they apply for the Scholarship.
- Excellent academics: Applicants must have completed their junior year of high school with above a B average in college preparatory courses and are required to take the ACT and/or SAT.
- Demonstrated financial need: Applicants must clearly have a need for financial assistance.
- Outstanding character: Applicants must be outstanding in character, integrity and leadership.
Prepare via Caddie Now
Step by Step Process to become a Caddy
- Download the CaddieNow App and Set-Up an Account
- Attend an online orientation thru CaddieNow
- Attend an in-person orientation at your organization or course
- Complete onboarding documents provided by CaddieNow
More information on the process can be found here: https://caddienow.com/for-caddies-the-best-gigs-in-golf/
For more information on how to get involved, please email [email protected]!