About First Tee – Upstate South Carolina
First Tee – Upstate South Carolina is a nonprofit organization dedicated to impacting the lives of young people in Anderson, Cherokee, Greenville and Spartanburg counties by providing educational programs that build character, instill life-enhancing values and promote healthy choices through the game of golf. Offering programs specifically designed for young people ages 5 to 18, the organization impacts the lives of over 60,000 Upstate area youth each year. For more information, visit www.firstteeupstate.org. https://www.youtube.com/embed/Y5k0qf8ILbE
Why We Do What We Do
Today’s children are growing up in a challenging time:
- 42,000 young people in the Upstate are unsupervised or are in programs offering minimal enrichment during the critical hours of 3-6 p.m.
- Over 78,000 young people in the Upstate – one in three – will reach the age of 19 without having had a mentor of any kind.
- With one in almost five high school students dropping out, academic underachievement or failure is a real possibility for many of today’s young people. Those who do not graduate high school are more likely to be unemployed, to engage in criminal behavior and to require social services.
We address these challenges by:
- Providing safe places with trained caring adults to deliver programs that seamlessly weave golf and character-building activities into each lesson.
- Offering lessons that transcend the game of golf, giving young people critical life skills to help them build successful, productive lives and to achieve their dreams.