Chapter Programs at Golf Courses
First Tee – Upstate South Carolina uses golf to teach our youth, life lessons and leadership skills. Our three sessions (Spring, Summer & Fall) include a fun, group setting for youth ages 7 to 18 regardless of background or previous experience. We also offer Little Linkster classes for 5 and 6 year olds. Each session is $100 and includes eight weeks of instruction. Financial aid is available. Sessions are lead by nationally trained coaches in positive youth development.
First Tee – Upstate South Carolina helps youth become good golfers and even better people.
Click the register button to learn more about what programming is AVAILABLE
A Youth Program Unlike Any Other
First Tee emphasizes Nine Core Values: honesty, integrity, sportsmanship, respect, confidence, responsibility, perseverance, courtesy and judgment. Through golf and our core values, your kids and teens will learn life skills like:
- Making proper introductions
- Managing emotions
- Resolving conflicts
- Setting up step-by-step goals
- Planning for the future
- Appreciating diversity
Advancing through the Program
From age 7 through 18, youth progress through different levels by demonstrating The First Tee Nine Core Values, life and golf skills as well as passing an assessment. All participants regardless of age start at the PLAYer level. The pinnacle of The First Tee is completing Ace.
- Little Linkster (recommended age 5-6) – Introduction to Life Skills and Golf Skills through games at golf courses.
- PLAYer (required minimum age 7) – Tee up for the first time and learn the game of golf and The First Tee’s Code of Conduct. Child must be 7 years old by the start of class or turning 7 within the first 14 days of the preferred session.
- Par (recommended minimum age 9) – Focus on interpersonal and self-management skills on and off the course.
- Birdie (recommended minimum age 11) – Emphasis on setting goals and making them a reality.
- Eagle (recommended minimum age 13) – Learn resilience, conflict resolution, and future planning.
- Ace (required minimum age 14 or entering 9th grade) – Put it all together and hone in on setting goals, career education, and giving back to the community.
The Power of Relationships
“I consider my coaches at First Tee to be some of the most important mentors I had growing up.” –alumnus
First Tee coaches are trained to create positive relationships that inspire youth to discover their individual potential. Our programs help young people build confidence, develop respect and appreciate the value of giving back to our community all while learning the lifelong sport of golf.
For more information about our programming please contact our Program Director, Derek Kinzer at [email protected].